Diocese in Ghana restores remaining liturgical practices restricted during COVID-19 pandemic

By Sabrine Amboka for EWTN News

Bishop Emmanuel Kofi Fianu said the remaining restrictions introduced during the COVID-19 pandemic are now lifted because health authorities have not issued new cautions.

Bishop Emmanuel Kofi Fianu of the Diocese of Ho in Ghana announced Aug. 17, 2026, that the remaining COVID-19 restrictions put in place for liturgies have been lifted. | Credit: Catholic Diocese of Ho
Bishop Emmanuel Kofi Fianu of the Diocese of Ho in Ghana announced Aug. 17, 2026, that the remaining COVID-19 restrictions put in place for liturgies have been lifted. | Credit: Catholic Diocese of Ho

HO, Ghana — The Diocese of Ho in Ghana has restored the use of holy water, handshakes during the sign of peace, and reception of Communion on the tongue. The diocese has also urged continued vigilance during liturgical celebrations.

In an Aug. 17 statement, Bishop Emmanuel Kofi Fianu said the remaining restrictions introduced during the COVID-19 pandemic had been lifted with immediate effect because health authorities have not issued new cautions.

“Since the onset of COVID-19, the Ghana Catholic Bishops’ Conference (GCBC) issued guidelines for public worship indicating some liturgical restrictions. Since 2024, a number of these restrictions have been lifted, but a few remained in force as precautionary measures to curtail the spread of the virus and some other infections,” Fianu said.

He continued: “As at now, we do not have any new cautions from the health authorities, so I believe it is time to lift the remaining restrictions that we observe during our liturgical celebrations.”

During the pandemic, Ghana’s Catholic bishops introduced measures that included limiting attendance at religious gatherings, maintaining physical distance, wearing face masks, observing hand hygiene, and taking precautions during the administration of the sacraments.

The measures applied to baptisms, confessions, marriages, funerals, and ordinations.

Under the latest directive, holy water may again be placed in receptacles at church entrances for the people of God to use when making the sign of the cross. They may also shake hands during the sign of peace.

The bishop, however, discouraged the moving around the church to exchange greetings. “As a symbolic act, it is enough to shake hands with those around us,” he said.

His directive also allows the faithful to receive Communion on the tongue.

Fianu went on to caution priests administering the Eucharist to avoid contact with communicants’ saliva and encouraged continued reception of Communion in the hand.

“We should encourage the faithful to receive holy Communion in the hand,” he said.

For concelebrated Masses, the bishop recommended providing additional chalices for hygienic and health reasons.

“We still recommend that extra chalices must be provided so that concelebrating priests can communicate by intinction. The main chalice should be used only by the main/principal celebrant, who should also make sure he purifies it after use,” he said.

Fianu also directed that all concelebrating priests join the entrance procession, adding: “Priests who arrive after the entrance procession are not allowed to concelebrate the Mass.”

Despite the lifting of remaining restrictions, the bishop urged the clergy, women and men religious, and the laity to maintain appropriate hygiene and take precautions whenever necessary.

“Despite the lifting of the restrictions, I urge all priests and faithful to remain vigilant and use their sanitizers whenever they are in doubt. We should all put our health first,” Fianu said in his Aug. 17 message.

This story was first published by ACI Africa, the sister service of EWTN News in Africa, and has been adapted by EWTN News.


If you value the news and views Catholic World Report provides, please consider donating to support our efforts. Your contribution will help us continue to make CWR available to all readers worldwide for free, without a subscription. Thank you for your generosity!

Click here for more information on donating to CWR. Click here to sign up for our newsletter.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

All comments posted at Catholic World Report are moderated. While vigorous debate is welcome and encouraged, please note that in the interest of maintaining a civilized and helpful level of discussion, comments containing obscene language or personal attacks—or those that are deemed by the editors to be needlessly combative or inflammatory—will not be published. Thank you.


*