Detroit, Mich., Nov 1, 2019 / 03:05 pm (CNA).- Four Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese of Detroit closed Friday after serious threats were made against the schools, officials have reported.
According to the Detroit Free Press, the threats against at least three of the schools included warnings about a “shooting rampage” at school Mass on November 1, the feast of All Saints Day.
It is yet unclear if or how the reported threats may be connected to each other.
On Thursday, staff at the all-boys high school Warren De La Salle Collegiate sent an email to parents, warning them that a “serious threat” had been made against the school and that classes would be canceled Friday.
“The Warren Police Department was alerted, and school officials are collaborating with them to investigate this threat,” the school said in a statement posted to its website.
In a reportedly separate incident, De La Salle was on lockdown for part of Thursday, Oct. 31 after a student reportedly brought a knife to school. Detroit Free Press reported that the school was searched by police who arrested a 17-year-old. There were no reported injuries and classes eventually were resumed.
Regina High School, the sister school of De La Salle located just two miles away, also closed its doors on Friday due to a threat against the school.
“We were made aware of a serious threat against Regina High School to allegedly occur on Friday … Due to this situation, school is canceled,” a message to Regina parents said, according to Detroit Free Press.
Detroit Catholic Central High School, located roughly 30 miles to the west of DeLasalle, was also closed on Friday due to threats, police told Detroit Free Press.
A fourth school, University Of Detroit Jesuit High School & Academy, announced it was canceling school on Friday for similar threats.
“Due to an implied threat, we are joining other Catholic Schools in the area over an abundance of caution to cancel school while we investigate,” Principle Anthony R. Trudel said in a statement obtained by Detroit Free Press. “Further information will be provided before Monday.”
A note on University’s website stated that most evening activities were continuing as planned, and that school would resume Monday.
Regina’s message to parents encouraged them to report any new or related information they might have.
“We know it is extremely important if you hear or see something to say something,” the message said, according to Detroit Free Press. “Please pray for peace in our schools and our world.”
De La Salle’s statement posted on their website ensured parents that everything was being done to keep their students safe.
“We are grateful for the safe learning environment provided by our staff, together with the ongoing support of, and close relationship with, the Warren Police Department,” De La Salle Principal Nathan Maus said in the statement. “We continue our commitment to work together with parents and guardians to ensure an environment that is both safe and conducive to learning for our students.”
If you value the news and views Catholic World Report provides, please consider donating to support our efforts. Your contribution will help us continue to make CWR available to all readers worldwide for free, without a subscription. Thank you for your generosity!