Washington D.C., Jul 21, 2018 / 02:45 pm (CNA).- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) announced Monday that Pope Francis has ratified the selection of five bishops chosen to attend the 25th Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, which will meet to discuss young people, the faith, and vocational discernment.
The delegates were elected by the bishops of the United States and confirmed by the pope.
· Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo, Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
· Archbishop José H. Gomez, Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Vice President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
· Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap., Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Chairman of the USCCB Committee on Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth
· Bishop Frank J. Caggiano, Diocese of Bridgeport, member of the USCCB Committee on Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth
· Auxiliary Bishop Robert E. Barron, Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Chairman of the USCCB Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis
The names of four of the delegates, Cardinal DiNardo, Archbishop Gomez, Archbishop Chaput, and Bishop Barron, were first reported by CNA in November last year.
The General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops will take place in Rome this October, following a global process of consultation and preparation, including a pre-synod meeting in Rome led by the pope and attended by 300 young adult delegates. The meeting produced a concluding Pre-Synodal document summarizing the world-wide responses of young people to the consultation process.
In June, the working document, or Instrumentum Laboris, for the October General Assembly was released. It includes a summary of the Synod consultations to date and outline its aims.
The Synod will take place on 3-28 October, 2018.
If you value the news and views Catholic World Report provides, please consider donating to support our efforts. Your contribution will help us continue to make CWR available to all readers worldwide for free, without a subscription. Thank you for your generosity!