Denver, Colo., Nov 2, 2017 / 12:02 am (CNA/EWTN News).- One month after an avalanche of sexual assault accusations were lobbed against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, another Hollywood scandal broke.
This week, actor Anthony Rapp accused actor Kevin Spacey of sexually assaulting him as a minor. Spacey apologized, but said he didn’t remember the encounter, and also took the opportunity to come out as gay.
In the early 2000s, the Catholic Church in the United States was also reeling from a sex abuse crisis when the Boston Globe broke the story of a former priest who was accused of molesting 130 minors, mostly young boys, over the course of more than 30 years. This led to a large-scale uncovering of thousands more allegations of abuse in dioceses throughout the country.
Since then, the Church has put into place numerous policies and practices to protect children from sexual abuse, including the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) Charter for Child and Youth Protection.
The charter, implemented in 2002, obligates all compliant dioceses and eparchies to provide resources both for victims of abuse and resources for abuse prevention. Each year, the USCCB releases an extensive annual report on the dioceses and eparchies, including an audit of all abuse cases and allegations, and recommended policy guidelines for dioceses.
Dr. Elizabeth A. Heidt Kozisek is a psychologist and the director of the Child Protection Office for the Diocese of Grand Island, which is in compliance with the charter.
Her diocese, like most throughout the country, has an abuse prevention program called Safe Environment training that is required for all adult employees and volunteers within the diocese, which trains them in preventing abuse, recognizing warning signs, and reporting incidents of abuse.
They also provide children in the diocese with education on appropriate relationships, Kozisek said.
“We educate children and youth in the qualities of right relationships and what to do when a relationship isn’t right; and provide continuing education for youth and adults with a goal of helping all experience right relationships throughout their lifespan,” she said.
“We strive to create a culture of healing and protection, where fostering right relationships, building resilience, and promoting healing are an integral part of who and how we are with children and youth, rather than merely a series of programs.”
Kozisek added that the USCCB charter provides the basic guidelines and principles for child protection in the U.S. dioceses, which then implement them with some specific considerations for their individual communities and the resources available within them.
When abuse allegations are reported, Kozisek said the protocol is first to report the abuse to local law enforcement authorities and to Child Protective Services. The accused person is immediately suspended from ministry pending a legal and internal investigation.
If someone is legally charged, they are immediately barred from ministry. Even if an accused individual is not legally charged, but the internal investigation still finds them “unfit for ministry”, they are removed from their employment or volunteer position, Kozisek said.
The Archdiocese of New York is also compliant with the USCCB charter, and has trained more than 100,000 people in providing a safe environment for children.
Edward Mechmann, director of public policy for the New York archdiocese, told CNA that the local Church has a “zero tolerance” policy when it comes to sexual abuse of minors, and that they also follow the protocol of having both legal and internal investigations of each allegation of abuse.
“At the conclusion of our investigation, if the accused is a cleric we submit the case to the Advisory Review Board for evaluation,” he said.
“If they determine that the allegation is substantiated, then a recommendation is made to the cardinal that the cleric be permanently removed from ministry. If the accused is a layperson, and we determine that the allegation is substantiated, then they are discharged from employment or volunteer service and permanently barred from any ministry. As a result, we have a zero tolerance policy that applies equally to clergy and laity.”
Last year, the USCCB found widespread compliance throughout the country in their annual report on the implementation of the charter.
The report, carried out by the bishops’ Secretariat of Child and Youth Protection and the National Review Board, found that 189 dioceses and eparchies were compliant with the charter and one diocese was partially compliant, specifically with Articles 12 and 13, which require proof that training programs are in place and that background checks are conducted on employees, clerics, and volunteers.
The one diocese not fully compliant is that of Lincoln, though according to the report the diocese plans to fully participate in the audit next year.
According to the 2016 report, 386 out of the 838 people who reported past abuse as minors accepted diocesan outreach and healing, and continued support was provided to 1,646 victims.
Mechmann said the key to combating abuse is combating a culture of abuse, which the Church has worked hard to do since the scandal of the early 2000s. The Church continuously reviews and updates recommended abuse prevention and reporting procedures and strives for full disclosure and a zero-tolerance policy of abuse.
“In the area of child protection, the corporate culture is the most important element. In the Church, we have successfully made child protection a key part of our regular course of business and we have made it unequivocally clear that any kind of sexual sin against minors is utterly unacceptable,” he said.
“We have put into place strong policies that are aimed to prevent any abuse. These policies are taken very seriously by the leadership of the Church (laity and clergy alike) who have all demonstrated repeatedly that they are committed to the program. We have demonstrated over and over again that we are open to receiving complaints, we take all allegations seriously, we vigorously investigate them, and we are firm in correcting any problem,” he said.
Hollywood, he noted, could learn from the Church’s work in combating a culture of abuse.
“The contrast with the entertainment industry couldn’t be more stark – there is clearly a corporate culture of sexual vice, there is no commitment to cleaning out the bad elements, and they are doing little or nothing to prevent further abuse.”
The USCCB declined to comment on this story.
If you value the news and views Catholic World Report provides, please consider donating to support our efforts. Your contribution will help us continue to make CWR available to all readers worldwide for free, without a subscription. Thank you for your generosity!
Click here for more information on donating to CWR. Click here to sign up for our newsletter.
The writer at CNA must be young. The Catholic problem blipped into the media ever since the Gauthe case in the mid 1980’s in Louisiana. In 1979 court records show that Fr. Shanley, an abuser, was audio taped and a layman sent that tape to the CDF office to inform them of his pro gay speech possibly at the man/ boy association. In the md ’80’s, Shanley was promoted to pastor so someone at the CDF was sleeping. TV had an expose on one of the magazine shows like 60 minutes with I believe Diane Sawyer….chasing after a priest who did not report a priest who was in fact arrested. Two researchers…one a priest warned St. John Paul’s right hand man c.1985 that this was a big problem that would get bigger. The Pope blocked out such reports as we know from his long denial of accusations against Macial Maciel Delgollardo whom the Pope said was ” a sure guide in spiritual matters ” for young people”. As soon as Benedict ascended the papacy, he reversed JPII’s delusionary outlook and punished Mecial with penance for life but that man died soon after. George Weigel’s ” Witness to Hope” made virtually no mention of the abuse scandal in a book hundreds of pages long just on John Paul II. In a subsequent book, Weigel said JPII was not aware of the numbers of victims and priests until c.2002 after both the Globe and the NY Times wrote exposes. But the Pope received his first warning in the mid ’80’s both from the two researchers and from the Gauthe case being on US television and a bt later from the Diane Sawyer piece on US tv. It was the Pope’s job to zealously follow up on those signs of the times. He did not. And he blocked out testimony against Macial Delgollardo in the 90’s.
That the Church found out in 2002 was what I call….defensive mascara…which the Bride of Christ should not use as Pope Leo XIII warned the flattering type Catholic writers of his day.
Looking at the John Jay Report (2004), on Sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, it would appear that something was done in the late 1970’s to initiate a significant drop in sexual abuse allegations, so that by 2000, the number of allegations had dropped to 1950 levels. Not perfect but there seems to be much action, not reported, to correct many of the causes for this type of sin.
It seems that the education, entertainment & media, so quick to point a finger, seemed to ignore their own filth.
can someone comment about what is happening here? the church is trying to stop a bill from extending the statue of limitation of past clergy rapes…why???