
Vatican City, Jun 21, 2017 / 11:34 am (CNA/EWTN News).- After the Vatican stated last month the postponement of Pope Francis’ proposed trip to South Sudan, they announced Wednesday that the Pope will instead send aid to the people suffering from worsening conditions.
The Vatican announced June 21 that Pope Francis will be aiding projects in the areas of education, healthcare, and agriculture, called the “Pope for South Sudan” Initiative.
The program will be coordinated through the Dicastery for the Promotion of Integral Human Development, headed by Cardinal Peter Turkson, and by Caritas International.
Because he is unable to travel to South Sudan in person, Pope Francis “wanted to express the tangible presence and closeness of the Church with the afflicted people,” Cardinal Turkson told journalists.
“It is an initiative that is to foster, support and encourage the work of the various religious congregations and international aid organizations that are present on the territory and tirelessly work to help the population and to promote the process of development and peace,” he said.
The projects of the Pope’s aid includes support for two hospitals: Wau Hospital in the Western Bahr el-Ghazal state, and Nzara Hospital in the Diocese of Tombura-Yambio.
Both hospitals have fewer than 130 beds between all of the departments, though the Wau Hospital treats around 300 patients a day on average, hospitalizing around 40,000 per year.
The aid will go toward support for medical and nursing staff, medicine and its transportation from Uganda to the hospital and management costs of the facilities.
Among the priorities of the Nzara hospital are the prevention and treatment of diseases such as tuberculosis, leprosy, and AIDS, as well as healthcare for children under the age of five.
Under education, the Pope’s initiative will help support an association of religious congregations called “Solidarity with South Sudan” which is working to train teachers, nurses, midwives, local farmers, and community leaders.
Since 2010 they have offered a two-year full-time program for obtaining a primary school teacher diploma at their center in Yambio, recognized by the Ministry of Education of South Sudan. Since opening, they have welcomed 3,500 students.
Francis also sends 200,000 euros ($223,000) to support agriculture in the country. The aid will be directed toward giving families the tools and seeds to grow their own crops where it is possible, thus feeding themselves and their families and providing a sustainable source of food.
In comments to CNA, Cardinal Turkson emphasized that this initiative should not be presented in any way as the only and first time the Holy Father is showing interest in the situation in South Sudan.
Cardinal Turkson himself has already made two visits there on behalf of the Pope, and this is just “the latest gesture,” he said.
“The Holy Father stays very close to the situation in South Sudan to try to a help, to be paternal to the situation over there and to try to afford the help that he can.”
Since December 2013 there has been ongoing civil war in South Sudan, interrupted by tenuous peace.
Parts of South Sudan were declared to be under conditions of famine in February. The classification was lifted Wednesday following an increase in aid, according to a UN-backed report. It warns, however, that the situation remains desperate as the number of people at risk for starvation continues to increase.
Michel Roy, Secretary General of Caritas International, told CNA that in February they said 100,000 people were going to die of hunger, but now they think that number might be 1 million.
“The situation is worsening day-by-day and we tend to forget what the situation is because it’s not new,” he said. “Now, the people of South Sudan are dying of hunger, of famine. Because there is no food and we cannot bring food to them because of security. So it’s the worst thing that can happen.”
The Pope’s aid is not just important for the concrete help it gives, he said, but because it also again raises the attention of the international community to the plight in South Sudan.
“To save lives needs money,” he continued. “The UN have launched an appeal which is only half funded, so the other half has to be found. It’s a lot of money, but we cannot just sit and look at people dying, so there’s a real need for increasing humanitarian aid.”
The Vatican’s aid to South Sudan was also welcomed by Catholic Relief Services, the US bishops’ international charity agency.
Sean Callahan, the president of CRS, stated that “what is most important, is Pope Francis telling world not to give up on South Sudan, that we all must step up our commitment to help.”
Callahan recently visited South Sudan, and said, “I can tell you from my visit that there is hope. I saw that when people had peace, they got to work, planting their crops, building homes and roads, building the new nation.”
CRS has led a US government-funded program in the country which focuses on supporting infrastructure development by providing food rations to villagers building roads, schools, dykes, and waterways. The aid agency is urging Congress to continue funding such aid programs, as the Trump administration has proposed cutting or eliminating such programs.
“We’ve seen those programs work and make a huge difference in the lives of people in South Sudan,” Callahan stated. “Now is not the time to turn our backs. There’s still hope and we can still get things done.”
Cardinal Turkson added that South Sudan needs the intervention of the international community to help end the conflict and bring about peace, the only thing which will truly end the humanitarian crisis.
“Pope Francis is a universal shepherd who crosses borders,” Cardinal Turkson said in the press conference. “He feels the pressing need to raise awareness of the international community about this silent drama, calling for greater and renewed efforts to reach a peaceful solution to the conflict.”
“The Holy Father does not forget the unheard and silent victims of this bloody and inhuman conflict, he does not forget all those people who are forced to flee their native country because of the abuse of power, injustice and war – he brings them all in his prayers and in his heart,” he said.
[…]
What a shame she didn’t stay to fight the good fight from the inside.
Let us hope that this is the ray of the light that would dawn in many , many hearts world over , to see the plight of the church in Germany through the aching heart of the Holy Father …to bring forth all the armaments that are in
The Church , against the enemy .. for the fruit of unity in The Spirit , for the graces of mercy for sins against The Church , down through the generations ..
For rebellion against the honor to be given The Father ,in repentance for sins against His children world over ..
for generational evils of new age and related bestial spirits, which led to the Nazi atrocities ..
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYpsKNzKZpnXdnQ0IQd8Ufw – good site , to have a
‘ prayer partner ‘ close at hand, in the Holy Spirit and thus the richness in relationships ..
Let us hope too that enough of the English speaking persons world over would be moved to see this as an occasion to ask for mercy , with the Holy Father , to wake up hearts from lukewarmness , to be delivered from similar evils and generational spirits of pride, rebellion and lusts that lurk close at hand , in families and lives world over .
Blessed Feast of St.Pio !
Mary , Queen of Peace pray for us all .
May God bless and keep and continue to inspire theologian Marianne Schlosser.
We must admire the typically German precision of the present moment, when that still-localized gangrene efficiently limps forward to AMPUTATE ITSELF from the Mystical Body of Christ.
But, like theologian Marianna Schlosser, who two days ago removed herself from the synodal Tennis-Court Oath (“binding” decisions mimicking early Revolutionary France), surely many of the 69 lockstep (?) bishops can find some way before and during the December spectacle to decline to act as Latter Day Lutherans and worse. So very retrograde, this RERUN AFTER FIVE CENTURIES…
And intriguing, too, must have been the backroom negotiation whereby the 69 bishops among the 200 synod members (now 199), became OUTNUMBERED by 70 members of the rogue lay group—the Central Committee of German Catholics that has demanded the ordination of women, an end to clerical celibacy, the blessing of same-sex unions by the Church and rethinking of all Catholic teachings on sexuality. (Schlosser was among the third group of 61.)
What a festering joke. . .
Is there anything to prevent the other thousands of LOCALLY RESPONSIBLE AND MORE COLLEGIAL BISHOPS across the world from speaking their minds even NOW, well apart from the multi-lingual and pre-emptive tutelage scheduled to follow the Germania three-ring circus (announced by Cardinal Marx)?
Synodality off the rails—the substantive universality of the Church soon to be REPLACED BY ESPERANTO!