Today, at the conclusion of his Sunday Angelus, Pope Francis announced the names of the new cardinals who will be elevated at next month’s consistory in Rome. Sixteen of the new cardinals will be eligible to vote in a future conclave to elect a new pope; three archbishops past voting age were also named cardinals in recognition of their years of service to the Church.
Four of the new cardinal-electors are members of the Curia; the remaining 12 are residential bishops from all over the world. Among these, Europe, Africa, and Asia each have two new cardinal-electors; South America has three; and North America, Central America, and the Caribbean have one each.
The new cardinal-electors are:
– Pietro Parolin, Titular Archbishop of Acquapendente, Secretary of State
– Lorenzo Baldisseri, Titular Archbishop of Diocleziana, Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops
– Gerhard Ludwig Müller, Archbishop-Bishop emeritus of Regensburg, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
– Beniamino Stella, Titular Archbishop of Midila, Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy
– Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster (Great Britain)
– Leopoldo José Brenes Solórzano, Archbishop of Managua (Nicaragua)
– Gérald Cyprien Lacroix, Archbishop of Québec (Canada)
– Jean-Pierre Kutwa, Archbishop of Abidjan (Ivory Coast)
– Orani João Tempesta, O.Cist., Archbishop of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
– Gualtiero Bassetti, Archbishop of Perugia-CittÀ della Pieve (Italy)
– Mario Aurelio Poli, Archbishop of Buenos Aires (Argentina)
– Andrew Yeom Soo jung, Archbishop of Seoul (Korea)
– Ricardo Ezzati Andrello, S.D.B., Archbishop of Santiago del Cile (Chile)
– Philippe Nakellentuba Ouédraogo, Archbishop of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
– Orlando B. Quevedo, O.M.I., Archbishop of Cotabato (Philippines)
– Chibly Langlois, Bishop of Les Cayes (Haiti)
The three new non-voting cardinals are:
– Loris Francesco Capovilla, Titular Archbishop of Mesembria
– Fernando SebastiÁn Aguilar, C.M.F., Archbishop emeritus of Pamplona
– Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop emeritus of Castries
The consistory at which the men will officially be made cardinals is scheduled to take place February 22, the feast of the Chair of St. Peter.